Thursday, January 24, 2013

Recipe Review: Summer Vegetable Crepes

In my hunt for tasty low calorie foods, Eating Well has been a great resource for filling and yummy food that isn't too difficult on the waist line.  This recipe caught my eye and I quickly pinned it with the hope of trying it soon.  Fresh veggies, crepes and cheese??  Sounds good to me!

I was able to get all I needed for the recipe at Publix, excluding the fresh corn.  I think out of season corn tastes blah, so instead of paying I just picked up a can of low sodium corn and rinsed it twice before using it.

When I got home I chopped up the veggies and added a little bit of extra virgin olive oil to the pan:


The veggies smelled great!  In addition to the recipe below, I also added some minced garlic and minced onion!


                     I added the cheese to the veggies and stirred it up good!  It smelled so good.  :)


I scooped out the filling and added it to the crepes.  


Big tip:  Use the wax paper from the crepe packaging to assist in the rolling of the crepe.  Without the whole thing falls apart!


Mmmmmmmmmm!


I added the chive/sour cream/ milk / lemon sauce to the tops and it was time to eat!
I used fat free sour cream

These were SOOOOO yummy.  I am glad I made them on a Water Zumba night, because I could not just eat one crepe.  As filling as it was, they were so good I ate half of another!!

Here is the official recipe from Eating Well:


Summer Vegetable Crêpes


Recipe is from Eating Well at  http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/summer_vegetable_cr_pes.html



INGREDIENTS


  • 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives, divided, plus more for garnish
  • 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped zucchini
  • 1 1/4 cups chopped green beans
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (I used canned corn)
  • 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 4 9-inch “ready-to-use” crêpes,

PREPARATION


  1. Stir sour cream, 1/4 cup chives, milk, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, green beans and corn and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low; stir in ricotta, Monterey Jack, the remaining 1/4 cup chives, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook, stirring gently, until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
  3. To roll crêpes, place one on a piece of parchment or wax paper (or leave it on the piece of plastic separating the crêpes in the package). Spoon one-fourth of the vegetable-cheese mixture (about 3/4 cup) down the center of the crêpe. Use the paper (or plastic) to help you gently roll the crêpe around the filling. Place the crêpe seam-side down on a dinner plate. Repeat with the remaining crêpes and filling. Serve each crêpe topped with 2 tablespoons of the reserved sauce and more chives, if desired.

NUTRITION


Per serving: 302 calories; 17 g fat ( 8 g sat , 6 g mono ); 46 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 15 gprotein; 3 g fiber; 687 mg sodium; 485 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1

1 comment:

  1. The above given recipe is really very nice. It is easy and tastes good. Thanks for such a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete