Thursday, August 26, 2010

Homemade Larabars!!!!!!!!!


Thanks to my good pal Sarah over at geonerdette, I've been introduced to the wonderful world of Larabars. Prior to making these, I don't think I've ever had dates before. I found a decent size package of organic dates at Trader Joe's and figured I would give these Larabars a whirl!

I chose to experiment with the Cookie Dough recipe that Sarah had posted on her blog. I made a few changes as I went along. One thing I should mention... since I never had dates before, I didn't realize they had pits. So... to save yourself from a possible busted tooth... remember to de-pit the dates. This service message was brought to you by the American Dental Association and the letter 'M'.

Here is the recipe as posted on Sarah's blog:

Chocolate chip cookie dough:

  • 1/3 cup dates (very coarsely chopped)
  • 1/2 cup walnuts (I used pecans because Dave isn't a fan of walnuts)
  • 1/2 ounce dark chocolate (coarsely chopped) (I used semi-sweet chocolate mini chips)
  • Dash cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

This recipe works best with a good food processor. :)



I found that it was easier to first chop up the nuts, then add the dates. It didn't stick to the side as much when I did it that way. After that I threw in the rest of the ingredients and chopped up some more.


The recipe create two Larabars at 110 calories a piece. Once finished I wrapped them up in parchment paper and stuck them in the fridge for later.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... they were so good. Dave liked them so much, he managed to eat half of them before I even noticed they were disappearing. ;)

1 comment:

  1. These sound yummy but I think I'd go for the dark chocolate because at least we could claim it provides antioxidants!

    ReplyDelete