Monday, October 17, 2011

I ate fish and I didn't die

My whole world has been turned upside down.

A little bit of a back story. About 9 years ago I ate a plate of mahi-mahi and broke out in hives. Ever since then, I have avoided fish like the plague. However, recently I went into Publix and saw a sample tray of what I thought was chicken. It was really yummy so I grabbed a few more pieces before I realized it was talapia. Panic set in and I waited for the hives to come. To my surprise they didn't. I am now able to introduce a healthy new meal into my routine and Dave will be thrilled since he loves to eat fish.

So even though I have NEVER made fish before, I tried my hand at cooking pecan-crusted tilapia.

I do not have pictures to post, but the next time I cook it I'll be sure to add it into a new post. :)

Here is the recipe from Publix, my changes will be in italics. :)

Pecan-Crusted Tilapia
  • 1/2 cup pecan pieces, finely chopped (I ran out and hold to go without on the last piece)
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup flour (I used whole-wheat flour)
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute or one egg
  • 1 1/2 lb tilapia fillets
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/4 cup canola oil ( I used extra-virgin olive oil and was no where close to 1/4 cup)
Prep
  • Chop pecans and combine with bread crumbs in a shallow bowl
  • Place flour in second bowl
  • Whisk milk and egg together in a third bowl
Steps
1. Sprinkle both sides of fish with seasoned salt. Dip fish in flour (coating both sides) then dip into egg mixture (allowing excess to drip off). Finally, dip into pecan mixture.
2. Preheat large saute pan on medium 1-2 minutes
3. Place oil in pan, then add fish; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden 145 degrees. Serve


The was fish was so moist and didn't have that icky "fishy" smell. I am really psyched. Fish is a so nutritious and I've been avoiding it for years. Stay tuned for more recipes as soon as I try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment